Monday 14 May 2012

First trip via Goa from Bangalore

I set my foot in Goa for the first time at the Vasco-da-gama international airport on 12th May 2012. I say 'via Goa' because I had nothing to do in Goa but had to proceed to Sawantwadi in Maharashtra (close to 100 kms) and then return to Bangalore the next day. The only way this was achievable was to take a flight.

As soon as we landed, we the passengers of JetConnect airlines were ushered into a Jet transit bus. The bus took a turn and hardly drove for 10 seconds, stopped. The welcome entrance was  right there. That was the funniest moment. People could have just walked 20 steps and gone inside. These guys are pampering too much adding to ill health.

Anyway, since I was carrying no check-in baggage, I just walked straight out. I was mobbed by 10s of taxi drivers with "cheap fares". I had to go to Vasco main bus stand and had no idea how far it was. I asked one of the taxi booking counters if there is a local bus available to go there. "No, only taxis" came the reply. I almost bought into it, if not for 6-7 other taxi drivers mobbing around me for a ride. "Only Rs.120 sir, sasta hai" (This is the cheapest fare he said).

However, my sixth sense refused and I made my way outside the airport to see if I could talk to a local. There I saw couple of mini private "Birla" buses waiting on the road in front of the newly under construction terminal. I checked with the first bus. He said hop on, we are going to Vasco. Fare: Rs.5, journey time, hold your breath: 15 minutes, distance: 4 kms!!!!!!!!

The taxis were demanding Rs.120 for a 4km ride. Ridiculous. I decided then and there, I would rely only on the public transport.

I got down at Vasco market and got into a Kadamba bus to go to Panaji. Fare: Rs.28. The route from Vasco to Panaji is fantastic with the backwaters giving you company for most of the route. You would also find some shipping companies on the sides with a few ships anchored there. Journey time: approx 45 minutes to1 hour.

Got down at Panaji. I was not only hungry but thirsty as well. Took a KOKAM sherbat soda which refreshed me. From here I took a private bus to Mhapsa / Mapusa as some people call. The bus was full of girls returning home to Mapusa from college.

After alighting at Mapusa, my relative came by on his Bajaj Discover. I requested him to allow me to drive. Totally enjoyed the awesome landscape littered with coconut / arecanut farm lands and passing by a few back water channels. It was breath taking.

On the way, added some punch to my hungry stomach with some road side onion bajji. This small shop is a couple of kms on the Mapusa->Sawantwadi road after you take a turn from Mapusa towards Sawantwadi. Amazing is one word I can use to describe the taste of the onion bajji.

Then at dusk, we reached our destination - Ajgaon, near Sawantwadi in Sindhudurg district. What a journey it was. A truly memorable one.

No comments: