Thursday 15 December 2011

Ubuntu 11.10 desktop issues

I have been a dedicated user of Ubuntu 10.10 for over a year and half. Since I got a new laptop, my system admin recommended to use the latest version Ubuntu 11.10 as it would be more secure.

Unfortunately, the desktop seems to have changed. They have replaced the GNOME interface with UNITY.

Believe me, it's such a pain to use this interface and they have ensured that you won't download and install the GNOME desktop so easily.

Then someone told me that I need to download and install the gnome desktop from the Ubuntu software center. When I tried that it complained saying that the dependency gnome-core needed to be installed. When I tried to do that, it threw up an error:

gnome: Depends: gnome-core (= 1:3.0+1ubuntu1) but 1:3.0+1ubuntu1 is to be installed

That's when I completely lost it. I could not afford to spend my time on doing something which was totally useless. I gave up after reading more reviews on the web about this problem.

And I have to thank my stars, I noticed KDE was available during my login. I switched to try it out. Wow. I have not looked back today. It's just got everything I need and extremely user friendly.

The only other problem I faced was to configure a printer. I could not find the printer configuration utility from the menus. Googled a bit and did:

sudo system-config-printer

to configure my office network printer and voila I was done.

Thanks to KDE. I stayed back with Ubuntu. I almost went back to Windows 7.

No comments: